So what are you worth and upon what do you base that worth?
These are important questions because so much of what goes on inside of our minds and hearts is touched by our answers.
- A desire to feel valuable is why it stings so badly when others ignore or mistreat us.
- A desire to feel valuable is why we feel ecstatic when others applaud us.
- A desire to feel valuable is often why we strive to excel in at least one area of life and celebrate our own personal achievements.
- Is it who our parents are?
- Is it how much money we have?
- Is it our previous accomplishments?
- Is it how attractive we may be?
- Is it the size of our house or the location of our neighborhood?
- Is it the color of our skin?
- Is it how valuable others perceive us to be?
Genesis 1:27 “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
Genesis 5:3 “When Adam had lived 130 years, he fathered a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.”
Genesis 9:6 “Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.”
- Those who are Jesus-followers and those who are not have value.
- Those who are “red, yellow, black, and white are all precious in His sight.”
- Those who are intellectual giants and those who are mentally challenged have value.
- Those who are elderly and those who are moments after conception have value.
- Those who live on both sides of the tracks have value.
- Etc., etc., etc.
And if you are a Jesus-follower, then you aren’t simply generally valuable – you are specifically valuable. You are a child of God and Jesus is your elder brother. You have royal blood flowing through your veins and you will one day walk streets of gold!
… and by the way, when we find out value in ourselves, it not only is based upon something fleeting – it also makes us arrogant. But, when we find our value in the God who made us, then that is something that can never be taken away and it gives us a very healthy, humble attitude.
So, live the moments of this day reflecting on the fact that the God of all creation has declared you valuable and realize that God has declared the same thing of every person you bump into.