7 Minute Read
To the best of your ability, get rid of all distractions. Take a couple of minutes to breathe deeply, to quiet yourself in the Lord’s presence. Then, prayerfully ask the Lord to speak to you in this time and let Him know that you will be listening and will make whatever adjustments He will reveal to you.
Today’s Bible Reading:
Listen to the Lord
Slowly and reflectively read the following verses and listen to what God will say to you through them. Then, consider writing down any insights He reveals to you.
Proverbs 19:14 (NLT): “Fathers can give their sons an inheritance of houses and wealth, but only the LORD can give an understanding wife.”
Reflections from Scripture:
One habit I have had since my boys were born has been praying for their future wives. When I first started, knowing that guys tend to marry girls younger than them, I acknowledged that my future daughters-in-law might not even be born yet. So, I prayed for their parents.
Last year, on June 6, I stood with Kim and our son on the stage at Northside Baptist Church in Mayfield, Kentucky. We shared that prominent place with Dani and her parents. Her dad and I both prayed prayers of blessing over their wedding as we acknowledged that we had been praying a long time for this day. We expressed our gratitude to God for hearing and answering our prayers of giving our child such a wonderful, godly soul-mate.
Long ago, I realized that if each of my boys is blessed with a wonderful wife, it will be because she is from the Lord.
So, parents and grandparents, pray for your child’s future spouse.
Do you need some help in knowing what to pray for in regard to your child or grandchild’s future spouse? Here are some ideas…
- Pray that their parents will raise them up in a godly home. Or, if they are not raised in a godly home, then pray that they will learn to love and trust the Lord in whatever setting they are in.
- Pray for them to be saved at an early age.
- Pray for them to find a healthy church in which they can grow and serve.
- Pray for Jesus to guard their heart against all of the world’s temptations.
- Pray that they would learn the joy of living daily in the grace of God and extend that grace to others.
- Pray for them to desire a godly spouse.
- Pray for them to value purity as they approach their wedding day when they give themselves completely to your child (grandchild).
- Etc., etc., etc.
My first son has already been blessed with a godly wife. At his wedding, I thanked God for hearing my prayers.
Soon enough, the day will come when my other two sons will get married. I’m looking forward to pulling my new daughters-in-law aside and saying, once again, “I’ve been praying for you for years.”
Spend Time in Prayer
Lord Jesus, I’m not content that I know that I’m saved. I’m not satisfied that my children (and grandchildren) are born again. I want them to continue to pass on a godly legacy to their children and their children’s children. So I pray for godly spouses for my children (and grandchildren). I pray that you would hear my prayers and answer because I’m going to spend a lot of time and energy getting my prayerful requests to You. When You answer, I will thank and praise You … and keep on praying. It’s in Your Name that I pray this prayer, Amen.