5 Minute Read + Scripture readings
Today’s Bible Reading:
Today’s Bible Verse(s):
“Jesus did not let him but told him, ‘Go home to your own people, and report to them how much the Lord has done for you and how he has had mercy on you.’”
Mark 5:19 (CSB)
Reflections on Today’s Bible Verse(s):
In yesterday’s Scripture reflections, we observed how Jacob gave God the credit for all that he had accomplished and obtained. In this morning’s Bible readings, I observed how we must share with others what the Lord has done for us.
Of course, there is no shortage of people who love to draw attention to themselves. If you listen to them in conversation, they are always pulling the conversation back to themselves. They want to talk about the most important thing to them – themselves!
That’s not what Jesus calls us to do. If we fully comply with Jesus’ command, people will listen to us and realize just how great Jesus is – not how self-centered we are.
So, what’s it look like to comply with Jesus’ command?
Mark 5:19 (CSB): “Jesus … told him, ‘Go home to your own people, and report to them how much the Lord has done for you and how he has had mercy on you.’”
I believe that this man’s example serves as an illustration for us. Here are some components of his conversation as he obeyed Jesus, at least what I think it was like:
- It started with an obvious change in his life that others would immediately notice. The questions they had opened the door for his explanation to them.
- He started by affirming the accuracy of their memory regarding what he once was. He humbly acknowledged what he was before Jesus came into his life.
- He acknowledged that it was the graciousness of Jesus that changed him. There had been nothing about him that drew Jesus to him except his neediness.
- He acknowledged the power of Jesus to change him. He couldn’t fix his own problems. He desperately needed Jesus … and Jesus did it!
- He affirmed that he despised the life he once lived and wholeheartedly refused to go back. It was destroying him.
- He affirmed his desire to follow and serve the One who had done such a wonderful work in his life. Sin once had control over him. Now, he willingly gave control of his life to King Jesus.
- Because of his excitement at what Jesus had done for him, he told others that they needed to meet this Man. He became a powerful “advertisement” for the Son of God!
* * * * * * * * * *
Lord Jesus, You have done so much for me. Ultimately, You saved my lost soul and are now fitting me for Heaven. But, You are also breaking the chains of sin in my life. Help me to refuse to keep it to myself. Help me to share it with others. And, if I share it correctly, all eyes will be fixed on you, not me. You’re worth it! Amen!