Does prayer work? Is there a God in Heaven that listens to your prayers and answers them?
Christians would overwhelmingly say “Yes!” to those questions.
But, how can you prove it? What evidence do you have to show that prayer works?
Simply put, you need to keep a prayer journal. I have used a prayer journal off-and-on throughout my Christian journey. So, let me give you just a few pointers to get you started on your own adventure.
- Purchase a spiral bound notebook. You can use any number of other resources (I use Logos Bible Software) but this will get you started.
- Write the specific request that you are asking God to answer at the top of the page (each page is a separate request). Seriously, make it specific and write down the date. If it’s too general, you won’t know when/if God has answered it and it won’t make you happy (John 16:24) when the answer comes.
- During your prayer time, flip through your notebook and pray for each request. You may want to write down some observations on each page of how it seems God is working to answer the request (along with the date / maybe log the time). You may want to write down a Bible promise to claim for that specific request. Whatever you write on each page, just log the journey from the time of your initial request until the answer comes.
- When God answers your request, write it down. Write down the date that you realized that God answered your prayer. And now, from the vantage point of the end of your prayer journey for that request, you may want to write a summary of the journey while it is still fresh in your mind.
- File the answered prayers in a special place to keep. This file of answered prayers will be a growing, precious treasure. When you go through a time of discouragement and Satan tries to convince you that God is not listening to your prayers, just pull out your answered prayer file and read it with delight. When someone questions whether prayer works, you may want to share with them a few specific things you prayed for and how God answered it.
You see, it’s one thing to say that prayer works. It’s quite another to show that it has worked for you. That’s the power of living out the Christian life. It’s no longer just theory. It is practical and it is provable.